Developing a resilient mindset for your job search during challenging times
In these unsettling times, personal resilience is key. Keeping a positive mindset when things may not be going the way you want can be challenging at the best of times, even for the more robust job searcher. Here are a few thoughts to help get your job search mindset in a much better place.
1) Keep it real – don’t apply for a space cadet job if you are afraid of heights. Don’t delude yourself.
2) Remove some of the stress by keeping in control as much as you can and keep organised. Focus on things you can change, don’t dwell on stuff you can’t. Let go of baggage.
3) Listen to your gut feeling – 99% of the time your gut is right (listen to your head, not your heart).
4) Leave your inner-critic behind you and be aware of your internal dialogue (preserve your energy for more constructive activity).
5) Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get the interview. Just reflect and learn from each situation and move on. Try not to take it personally – the reality check is you never know who you are up against and if it’s not meant to be, then it’s not meant to be. Park it and move on.
6) Reward yourself when you get the little wins. You deserve it.
7) Be open-minded and avoid making assumptions. (Assumptions can block out wider opportunity for you and you never know where a left turn on your job search road map may take you ..)
8) Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback and utilise the recruiter expertise around you – they know how to play the game better than you do.
9) Don’t let it sap all your energy. Take time out and be kind to yourself. Stay healthy - exercise is a great mind cleanser and a healthy diet can help with your mood and energy levels.
10) Don’t be afraid or too proud to ask for help. It’s OK. And good advice can make such a difference if you let it. Listen, Learn, Change.
11) Keep your mind active. Maybe use the time to gain some new skills or take up some training. (There are loads of free/low-cost training courses available on-line).
12) Look forwards, not backwards.
13) Listen to constructive criticism from your Supporters. And understand their messages.
14) Surround yourself with positive people and influences. Distance yourself from negative vibes, it's not healthy.
15) Be nice to everyone. You never know when your paths may cross again.
Job Search Strategist, at Jobsearchwarrior.
ACHIEVE YOUR JOB SEARCH DREAM
Why not pick up the phone and begin the life you want...
Don't know where to start?
Why not sign up to get my blogs hot off the press?
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.